Thursday, February 12, 2009

Today I am being very naughty and filling this in while I watch a class. I have been told off for not keeping up to date, but things have been very busy, and yet again I don't have a useable camera! It broke again, so I am waiting to see if the shop will fix it. It is still withing a year of purchase, but things in Japan aren;t built to last. There is a real throwaway mentality, everyone wants the newest version of everything and nothing is kept. If it goes completely i am just going to get a new one in Britain, then even if it doesn't last least I'll be able to communicate with customer services!



Today is Freaky Friday, a charity day in the middle school to raise money for a Sacred Heart school in Uganda. The students were given free dress for Y200, but they were supposed to come as "someone else". Unfortunately, most of them just swapped clothes with a friend so they still look just like any other free dress day! The teachers joined in too, with a few of us coming as students. Ben M is wearing a full high school uniform, complete with short skirt and untucked shirt (the students keep telling him off - it is untucked because it is too small and won't do up). One of the other teachers has come as her daughter (in grade 10) who is a goth. She looks sooo good, I am going to try to get someone else to take a photo and send it to me. I am wearing a junior school pinnafore. Apparently it was specially made for a huge 8 year old years ago, and when she left it got passed on for teachers to wear. The girls who are new to middle school and wore this uniform last year think it is fab, I have had a lot of coos in the corridors. I have had my photo taken with Priya (dressed in her brothers oversized suit), and am going to add it to my collection of silly outfits I have worn recently. If I can get a copy I will put it on here.



A few weeks ago it was One World Day, always a favourite of mine, when everyone dresses in national costumes or flag colours and there are traditional performances etc. Last year a group of us were Robin Hood and his Merry Men, so this yea we wanted to do something again and keep up the trend. Even more Brits were interested, so eventually there were 7 people who all dressed up as Morris Dancers, with matching ribbons and bells and sticks. It took some coordination to get all the bits, but all in all it was easier than last year and looked terrible, which we think is great on days like that! The more ridiculous the outfits, the better.

No comments: